Category Archives: News
Celebration of Computing – Maggie Philbin Joins Islington Schools at the Arsenal Stadium – Tuesday 13 January 2015 (AM)
Islington Young People are “Producers not Consumers”, equipped for future careers and “Tech City” opportunities
Thank you for the incredible response to this event and we now have enough schools bringing groups of children to showcase their achievement s in tech (we can squeeze on a couple more if you email Katy asap!)
However, we want all computing and school leaders (including school governors) to attend to see the children in action and hear from Miles Berry and Maggie Philbin!
So can all staff (including those who have already emailed about bringing children) Please book a place via
firstname.lastname@example.org We have limited places, so email asap to confirm.
The event includes brief key notes from:
- Maggie Philbin, former Tomorrow’s World presenter, alongside Laura Kirsop from Code Club.
- Miles Berry (Principal Lecturer – Computing Education at the University of Roehampton)
- Lesley Seary Chief Executive of Islington council
- Plus Arsenal share how tech is critical to many of their jobs and the organisation at Arsenal
Workshops from 12 lead schools with:
- Barefoot Computing in action, supported by BT – with “unplugged” activities for “Computational Thinking”
- Volunteers from Bloomberg and their Code Clubs
- Minecraft and Raspberry Pi
- Makey Makey with a class
- Scratch Junior and other Apps
- KS1 floor turtles, robots and top Apps including “Book Creator”
- Blogging and “developing an audience”
- Magical Mathematics and Scratch
- School Radio Stations in action
- LGFL tools – J2e, J2code and J2logo
- Learning about “Networks”
- Computing for all learners and examples of resources for “scaffolding”
- Industry partners Bloomberg and BT
- Educational providers including LGfL, BBC, Lego Education and Primo Education
- Islington ICT team will share their updated curriculum booklets
Welcome to your site!