Celebration of Computing – Maggie Philbin Joins Islington Schools at the Arsenal Stadium – Tuesday 13 January 2015 (AM)
Islington Young People are “Producers not Consumers”, equipped for future careers and “Tech City” opportunities
Thank you for the incredible response to this event and we now have enough schools bringing groups of children to showcase their achievement s in tech (we can squeeze on a couple more if you email Katy asap!)
However, we want all computing and school leaders (including school governors) to attend to see the children in action and hear from Miles Berry and Maggie Philbin!
So can all staff (including those who have already emailed about bringing children) Please book a place via
email@example.com We have limited places, so email asap to confirm.
The event includes brief key notes from:
- Maggie Philbin, former Tomorrow’s World presenter, alongside Laura Kirsop from Code Club.
- Miles Berry (Principal Lecturer – Computing Education at the University of Roehampton)
- Lesley Seary Chief Executive of Islington council
- Plus Arsenal share how tech is critical to many of their jobs and the organisation at Arsenal
Workshops from 12 lead schools with:
- Barefoot Computing in action, supported by BT – with “unplugged” activities for “Computational Thinking”
- Volunteers from Bloomberg and their Code Clubs
- Minecraft and Raspberry Pi
- Makey Makey with a class
- Scratch Junior and other Apps
- KS1 floor turtles, robots and top Apps including “Book Creator”
- Blogging and “developing an audience”
- Magical Mathematics and Scratch
- School Radio Stations in action
- LGFL tools – J2e, J2code and J2logo
- Learning about “Networks”
- Computing for all learners and examples of resources for “scaffolding”
- Industry partners Bloomberg and BT
- Educational providers including LGfL, BBC, Lego Education and Primo Education
- Islington ICT team will share their updated curriculum booklets
Islington Computing Strategy 2014
Islington Launch: Computing Strategy 8 January 2014, Supported by Maggie Philbin
- Code Club for every primary school in Islington, in Partnership with Bloomberg and London City University
- Local Islington and LGFL Computing Curriculum
- Lead teacher support and training
Register with Code Club https://www.codeclub.org.uk/
Safer Internet Day: 11th Feb 2014
Let’s create a better internet together
Safer Internet Day 2014 will take place on 11th February 2014, with the theme ‘Let’s create a better internet together’.
The day offers the opportunity to focus on both the creative things that children and young people are doing online, as well as the role and responsibility that all stakeholders have in helping to create a better internet.
Safer Internet Day is organised in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre in February of each year to promote the safe and responsible use of online technology and mobile phones for children and young people.
Safer Internet Day Film (launching Jan 14) http://www.saferinternet.org.uk/safer-internet-day/2014/safer-internet-day-film
Use some of the safter internet day resources:
Safer Internet Primary Assembly Resource (Really good to raise awareness)
Who’s blogging now? RSS Feed for Islington Schools
Safer Internet Day Site
LGfL Blog Central For all you need to know about blogging and more.
- Staying safe online
Keep personal details offline
- Don’t give out your personal information
- Try to keep passwords and usernames secret too
- Beware: people may not be who they say they are
- Always tell an adult if you feel uncomfortable or worried.